Monday 9 May 2011

25 Days


I've not had chance to write part 2 on the birth story, but wanted to write a quick update!

We're all settling in to normal life now Mitch has gone back to work (last week). I think I had slightly unrealistic expectations of what I'd be able to do on maternity leave - I was determined I wouldn't sit on my bum watching Jezza Kyle and I'm beginning to realise that sometimes I'm going to have to do that for a big chunk of the day while Alice feeds!

At least for these first few weeks I'm lucky if I manage a shower and to eat lunch, but I'm sure it will get easier as we fall into a routine and she can go a little longer between feeds. Today I'm hoping to get into Mansfield for a wander round this afternoon, but I've learned I can't really plan anything at the moment - quite frustrating for a serial organiser such as myself!

The midwife came last Tuesday to weigh Alice and she'd put weight on to 8lb 7oz! That's half a pound in 5 days - fantastic weight gain! The midwife signed us off so she won't be weighed now until she's 8 weeks old, unless I go to any of the Surestart clinics.

We've had a few good nights and a few bad nights, we get up normally 3 times a night, but the thing that varies is normally how long she stays up for. The easy feeds we're up for 45 minutes, the hard ones could be a couple of hours.

She's certainly developing and changing a lot! Her eyes are beginning to focus and she'll look at people's faces / follow them if they move. She's more alert and spends much more time awake than she did at the beginning. She'll now sit awake and look around without crying, just quite content to be sat and being held. She loves cuddles, to be held, and loves being bounced and rocked.

Anyway, a few photos :)




With love and light xo

2 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Just read the entry further down about the struggle to BF and it made me feel a little tearful on your behalf, am so glad you've stuck at it, because loads of people just seem to give up after that little struggle, which is a shame because it's so, so good for the baby, and of course you! Though i'm pretty sure that you're the kind of person who knew that she wouldn't be giving it up, aren't you? :p

    Are you expressing any extra to store for "just in case" or so that Mitch can feed her? I know it can be a bit of a contentious issue because of "Nipple confusion" or whatever they call it.

    I don't have any plans to reproduce for yeeearrs yet, but I feel like I'm already a millitant promoter of breastfeeding, haha.

    Also, dunno if you've heard of Lansinoh, nipple cream. The midwives on my placement couldn't speak highly enough about it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been super pro breastfeeding, for like a million and one reasons that we all know! It's the most natural thing in the world, but why is it so hard?! Lol

    I go back and forth between envying people who formula feed! But it's also amazing knowing I made her grow :)

    I'm not expressing yet, but will do. I'm trying to avoid bottles for 6 weeks to avoid the nipple confusion but will be nice to pass over a night feed every so often!!!

    And the cream is amazing! Like a complete lifesaver!!!

    ReplyDelete