Tuesday 23 July 2013

34+4 - Large For Dates


Trying out the fancy new Blogger app at 5am so excuse any spelling mistakes - realised I've not been updating much so may as well make use of some quiet time!

I had my 34 week midwife appointment yesterday, which was a little more eventful than originally planned. I have been measuring a few cm's too big the whole way through this time, and was still a little big yesterday. They've referred me for a scan this morning to have a look at baby and see if I've got like a cat in there as well or something. 

On the one hand, I'm looking forward to seeing baby again today. Fingers crossed she's still a girl or there will be one tiny boy in some ridiculous dresses. Also looking forward to (hopefully!) confirmation that baby is head down and good to go. Always nice to see baby too, although Mitch can't come because of work which is a bit rubbish. 

On the other hand, I do worry a little. But then I worry about everything. The concern with a fundal height that is large for dates is that your baby is going to be like 20lb! However I'm trying to reassure myself - bodies have been producing babies for a very long time. They know what they are doing. I am not measuring ridiculously huge, and have been following the same growth throughout. I haven't gained too much weight, and I haven't been living on Mars bars and chips - however tempting! 

My main concerns are obviously with baby, as long as they're okay I'm good. However I worry about my lovely birth too! I'm still hoping for a home birth this time, and another positive experience to go with Alice's! 

I guess this post a little pointless as I'm not really sure what's going on at the moment, but will hopefully have more of a clue later. My middle of the night research has backed up exactly what I thought - fundal height is a really poor indicator of baby size as it depends on so many things including how baby is lay, and amount of fluid. From the looks of things, ultrasound isn't a much better indicator either! But I will go for my scan and take it from there.

Just been looking through blog to try and find mentions of this from last time. I'm sure (but can't quite remember!) that Alice was always measuring big for dates, and they predicted she would be 9lb plus. She was 7lb14oz - perfectly normal weight. 

The other slight concern on their part is glucose. Throughout my pregnancy with Alice, and this time, I've had sugar in my wee pretty much every time. I had the fasting blood sugar test a few weeks ago, but depending on the results of scan today they may want me to go back for that again. Fingers crossed for no as I'm grumpy when I don't eat!!

To summarise my 5am ramblings - midwife pretty sure I'm having a litter of kittens instead. Get to see baby today and hoping she's still a girl. Will update later. 

With love and light xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment